Golf Course Restoration
Rees Jones has spent his life studying the work of the game's greatest golf course architects and their prominent courses from past eras. Growing up playing many of the renowned golf courses in the New York Metropolitan area, Rees was exposed to classic designers such as A.W. Tillinghast and Walter Travis. As a member at Montclair Golf Club, he grew up playing the designs of Donald Ross and Charles Banks, who worked with Seth Raynor and C.B. Macdonald. These designs were the basis for what has become the classic design style that Rees Jones, Inc. is known for today.
In working with existing golf courses, our firm approaches each with the philosophy of preserving the past while recognizing the needs of the modern game. We carefully collect and study historic plans and photographs as well as assessing the needs of current infrastructure. We use this information to develop a long-term vision for the golf course that will ensure that the design work or style of the original architect is retained, while making sure that the golf course remains relevant for current and future generations of golfers.
Our firm has extensive experience successfully restoring the work of many of the classic "Golden Age" golf course designers. A good example is The Country Club in Brookline, Mass., where our restoration of the course prior to the 1988 U.S. Open proved that strategic design elements could still test the game's top players. By restoring this historic course to its original style, we started a trend that persists to this day.
In its Spring 2012 issue, Golf, Inc. Magazine recognized Rees Jones, Inc. as the most active renovation design firm: "Rees Jones is known as the Open Doctor and is the most sought after architect for renovations over $1 million. His recent work has breathed new life into Tulsa Country Club, Carmel Country Club in Charlotte, NC and Lambton Golf and Country Club in Toronto. All three renovations helped the clubs attract a combined 300 new members."
The following is a list of examples of our most notable restoration work:
Willie Campbell / William Flynn
- The Country Club, Brookline, MA
- Baltusrol Golf Club (Lower Course), Springfield, NJ
- Baltusrol Golf Club (Upper Course), Springfield, NJ
- Bethpage State Park (Black Course), Farmingdale, NY
- Old Oaks Country Club, Purchase, NY
- Tulsa Country Club, Tulsa, OK
- East Lake Golf Club, Atlanta, GA
- Pinehurst Country Club (Course No. 2), Pinehurst, NC
- Montclair Golf Club, West Orange, NJ
- Echo Lake Country Club, Westfield, NJ
- Belle Meade Country Club, Nashville, TN
- River Oaks Country Club, Houston, TX
- Oakland Hills Country Club (South Course), Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Monterey Peninsula Country Club (Dunes Course), Pebble Beach, CA
- Hollywood Golf Club, Deal, NJ
- Canoe Brook Country Club (North Course), Summit, NJ
- The Golf Club at Equinox, Manchester Village, VT
Robert Trent Jones
- Atlanta Athletic Club (Highlands Course), Johns Creek, GA
- Atlanta Athletic Club (Riverside Course), Johns Creek, GA
- Congressional Country Club (Blue Course), Bethesda, MD
- Bellerive Country Club, St. Louis, MO
- Duke University Golf Club, Durham, NC
- Mauna Kea Golf Course, Kohala Coast, HI
- Greenville Country Club (Chanticleer Course), Greenville, SC
- Golden Horseshoe Golf Club (Gold Course), Williamsburg, VA
- The Patterson Club, Fairfield, CT
- Hazeltine National Golf Club, Chaska, MN
- Montauk Downs, Montauk, NY
- The Dunes Golf and Beach Club, Myrtle Beach, SC
- London Hunt & Country Club, London, Ontario, Canada
- North Hills Country Club, Manhasset, NY
Rees Jones, son of renowned architect Robert Trent Jones, has spent his life studying the work of the game's greatest golf course architects and their prominent courses from past eras.
- DANZANTE BAY FEATURE
Rees Jones' Mexican Odyssey
Golf Course Architecture's Adam Lawrence visits Mexico and sees the beginnings of a remarkable Rees Jones course.
- TOURNAMENT VENUES
Next: Shell Houston Open
Date: Mar 30 - Apr 2, 2017
The Golf Club of Houston - “Tournament Course”
Humble, TX, USA
- REES JONES, INC. DESIGN TEAM
The talented golf course architects at Rees Jones, Inc. represent nearly 110 years of experience in golf course design, construction, and project management.
- IN THE NEWS
Rees Jones on Morning Drive
Rees Jones speaks with Golf Channel's Matt Ginella about the changes to Hazeltine National Golf Club.