Torrey Pines Golf Course (South Course)
Course Type: Public
Design Role: Complete Redesign 2001
Co-Designer(s): Greg Muirhead
Client Course Description
Torrey Pines. The name itself stirs the imagination of golf enthusiasts all over the world. Situated atop cliffs towering above the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, California, golfers marvel at the views of the coastline and deep ravines. Nature lovers can spot wildlife and the famous Torrey Pines trees that are indigenous to the area.
In hopes of being selected for a U.S. Open, our client asked us to completely rebuild Torrey Pines South. We relocated greens closer to the canyons, re-contoured all greens to provide multiple pin placements, repositioned bunkers for stronger players with more advanced equipment, and added over 500 yards of length. In 2002, Torrey Pines was chosen to host the 2008 U.S. Open.
- Farmers Insurance Open: Annually Since 2010
- Formerly Buick Invitational Tournament: 2002 - 2009
- LPGA Tour's Samsung World Championship: 2009
- U.S. Open: 2008, 2021
- Golf Magazine: Top 100 Courses in the U.S.
- Golf Digest: America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses
- Golf Magazine: Top 100 Courses You Can Play
- Golfweek: Best Municipal Courses
- Golf Magazine: Gold Premier Resort
- Golfweek: America's Best State-By-State Courses You Can Play